Sunday, June 19, 2016

Tynans Birth Story

Tynan R Higgins was born May 2nd, 2016 at 2:22pm. 

Tynans birth was the complete opposite of Addisons. There was no NICU stays, no emergency transports, and we didn't stay in separate hospitals. It was as close to the perfect birth as it could have been considering I had cesarean. (you can read Addisons birth story here)

I think it got the most exciting when I decided to eat a pop tart on the way to the hospital that morning. As we were getting ready to leave and I grabbed my pop tart I thought to myself, "maybe I shouldn't eat. They didn't say anything though when we scheduled it. Maybe its okay. but maybe I shouldn't just in case. Okay, i'll just eat it. " So on our way to the hospital I ate maybe 1/4 of the pop tart. I really wasn't all that hungry. I was just eating to eat because that is what you do in the morning when you get up. Plus I figured I'd be sitting in a hospital all day and I really didn't want to be hungry. BAD IDEA. I got there and they asked me if I ate. I told them yes and immediately they were like well, we are probably going to have to wait 6 hours till you have an empty stomach. They were afraid I would throw up from all the medicine they gave me to get me ready for the c section and that I would gag on it.

So I did not even eat enough to fill my tummy. 2 rolled around and I was starving. I jokingly told Aaron and the nurses that I should have eaten a full meal from Ihop or something for it to be even worth it because the pop tart was not worth waiting till 2 for.

So 2 rolled around and they got me ready to go into the OR. When I had my c section with Addison they wheeled me in. With Tynan they had me walk in. That was a bad idea. I saw all the tools they'd be using, I suddenly wanted to turn around and wait till he came on his own. It was obviously too late though, and I really wanted Aaron to be there for the birth. That was the whole reason we were doing a c section anyway. I wanted Aaron to be there.

At 2:22 we heard his first cry. He came out crying just like we had hoped and imagined he would. He was pink and breathing on his own. He did swallow some amniotic fluid but it wasn't anything to be concerned about. They cleaned him up and Aaron got to cut the umbilical cord (he didn't get to cut Addisons). Aaron held him and then they brought him over to let me hold him for a few moments while I was still on the operating table and we took a quick picture. Aaron and Tynan left the room and they stitched me up. When I got to the recovery room I got to hold Tynan again, and do skin to skin. Tynan was struggling breathing just a little bit. He didn't know how to regulate it so they hoped that by doing skin to skin he would learn how to regulate it better. Within 5 mins his breathing was regulated. I could have stayed in that moment forever. He latched to eat immediately with no problems.

When we got wheeled back into our room Aaron went and got Addison from my mom and dad. We brought her in and introduced her to her new little brother. We had a lot of visitors that day and the next. Aaron had to leave early Wednesday morning to get back to school for class.

The experience of having Tynan and Addison was night and day. In a perfect world I would not have had Tynan via cesarean but it was more important to me that Aaron was able to to be there for the birth than me get the birth experience I wanted.

I am so grateful that I am able to have children and bring them into this world. I'm grateful for healthy beautiful babies and a wonderful husband that gets to be there daddy.

We are so blessed.



The nurse only got Aaron with his eyes closed. haha




No comments:

Post a Comment