Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Addisons Birth Story

Addisons Birth Story.

Addison was due on Oct 20th, and when the day came and went, and little Addison was yet to be here we were a little disappointed. We started trying to find out what worked, and what would help me go into labor. We heard lots of walking, Evening Primrose Oil, pineapple juice and a few other things. Since I was off work, I decided to just walk everyday along with the Primrose Oil, and fresh pineapple. I had a doctors appointment on Thursday to hopefully talk about an induction date if she still was not here. Thursday came, and still no Addison. So I went to my doctors appointment and they said I was 2-3 cm dilated and was 50% effaced. Doctor Connors, my doctor, said that because I was progressing they would see if she came over the weekend and then on Monday if I she still had not come they would set an induction date. I walked away somewhat disappointed, somewhat excited because I was progressing on my own. I decided to go run my errands. I went walking again and then ran to Wal Mart to get a few things. 

After I got home from Wal Mart my body just hurt and ached all over. I was sure I was having contractions, I texted Aaron and told him and he started to get so excited. I decided to sit down and count and sure enough, I was having contractions. My mom told me to take a hot bath to see if it stopped the pains. Right before I did that I went to the bathroom, and for some reason I urinated almost a diarrhea like substance. I thought maybe it was just old blood or something from being checked that morning at my appointment. My mother-in-law, DeAnn, called me and I told her what was going on and she said it sounded like my water had broke. So I called the doctor about the brown urine and they said it could be meconium and that I needed to go to the hospital. I did not know what meconium was at the time (for those of you who don’t know she had her first poop in the womb). I called Aaron and told him to come home and get me so we could go.
He got home quicker then he'd ever gotten home before. We got our stuff together (he was super good about remembering to pack things I did not) and we ran to the hospital.

The whole way there Aaron was constantly checking with me to see how far apart my contractions were. They consistently stayed 2-3 mins apart. When we got to the hospital we checked in and then they had me go up to triage. The triage nurse said the contractions would not be enough to keep me there but the meconium was. She told us we would not be leaving the hospital without a baby in our arms. While I was getting ready to go into the labor room, Aaron was helping me put some of the fabulous hospital gowns and undies on and we were just laughing at the fact that I basically was putting on a diaper. I had a monitor around my belly to track the babies heart beat, so as I was sitting down I noticed it stopped for a little bit. I wondered if it was because the monitors had sorta slipped off, but I was not to worried about it. I told the triage nurse and she checked it and said they were back up again. They took me into the labor room, and Aaron and I said a prayer together. Aaron gave a beautiful prayer, and it brought the spirit into the room and a lot of my fears went away, I do not know if he knows how much I needed him there for all of it, or if he even understands how big of a help he was for me. A little while later Aaron asked if his mom could come since my mom was not able to be there (she was on her way). I told him it would be fine, it would be nice to have her there since I was a little nervous about the whole thing and she had been through many births before. She literally walked into the door 3 minutes later. I had no idea how she got there so fast, but I was so out of it I didn't even really notice.

When she came into the room her and Aaron just sat and talked with me, and she told Aaron to massage my back, which worked out well because it took the pain away from back when I had my contractions. We were all visiting and talking and then I had to get up and go to the bathroom. The 2nd time I got up again and came back her heart dipped. Doctor Connors, the doctor I saw most of the pregnancy, ended up being the doctor on call which I was so glad for. She came in and said that because the babies heart had dipped a 2nd time it would be good to look into getting that epidural just in case it happened again, because if it did then I was going to have to have an emergency c-section. So I told them I would be okay with an epidural. I got up again to go to the bathroom soon after. I was a little hesitant because I did not want her heart rate to drop, but I did not want to wet the bed either. When I came out and they hooked me up, everything was fine. I felt a lot of relief, but was still pretty nervous. Aaron and his mom continued to visit with me and give me comfort! I was so grateful to them for being there. I then had to go to the bathroom again, and when I came back, her heart rate dropped a 3rd time.

The nurses frantically had me crawl back on the bed and try my left side, my right side, and my hands and knees. The babies heart did not pick up. They immediately got on their phones and started calling a doctor to the Operating Room, putting on the sterile outfits. While they were prepping me to go into the OR, Aaron took my hand, and I told him over and over again how scared I was, and I started to cry. I was so afraid our baby would not make it. As they took me out, I saw Aaron cry for the first time since we got married. He gave me a kiss on the forehead, told me he loved me and that everything would be okay. It was another moment that I just knew how much I needed him there. He and his mom followed me to the Operating Room were they prepped me for the procedure.

Aaron really needed his mom there when they took me into the OR. He later told me that his mom had felt promptings preparing her to be there that evening, throughout the day. She picked up Aarons two brothers from school and took them to see Meet the Mormons and then felt like she needed to pick up Ellie from her day program. Soon after Aaron had told her that I was going into labor. She immediately felt like she needed to come out. She was already at the hospital when Aaron had told her to come over, that is how she got there so quick. Had his mom waited any longer to come out or not listen to the promptings she felt she would not have been there at the time I went to the OR. He really needed her there, and needed her give him the comfort he needed. I’m so grateful for a mother in law that listens to the spirit and follows the promptings she receives. Aaron was there for me, and she was able to be there for him.

While prepping me for the procedure Aarons mom called my mom to let her know what was going on. I was grateful he did since my mom did not have much of an idea of what was going on. Last I had told her was that we were waiting for me to go into labor.

As I went into the OR I was freaking out. I was crying hysterically. They told me that if they had to put me to sleep, Aaron would not be able to come in. I was so upset by that because I needed him in there. When I got in the room they transferred me to the operating table. The nurses had me sit up and had me hug a pillow as they gave me the spinal injection. After that I was told to lay on my back, and put my arms back. All I wanted was Aaron in the room with me. I asked them if he would be able to be in the room and they told me as soon as they were ready to make the incision he could come in. I remember being a little worried that I would be able to feel the incision as well, but the doctors and nurses were so good at making sure I knew what was going on and reassuring me that I would not feel anything.  Aaron came in a few minutes later dressed in his sanitary covers. He came over and held my hand and the anesthesiologist told him to look. Within 2 minutes of them making the incision we heard a soft little cry. I did not even see them take her over to the table. Aaron was still holding my hand and the doctor told him to go look at our daughter . Aaron went over to where the nurses and doctors were trying to clean up little Addison. I had no idea what was going on, I just kept looking at Aaron to see if he made any notion as to how she was doing.

I had not heard her cry since they took her over to the table. Aaron later told me that she turned her head, closed her eyes and had stopped breathing. He said in that moment that the saw her die. He quickly said a heart felt prayer asking that little Addisons life be spared and that she would live. Within seconds after saying amen she started to cry. The doctors working on her, did an amazing job, and I'm sure they were guided in what needed to happen to keep our sweet baby alive.

I heard them say they were taking her to the nursery and when I asked why, they said she had aspirated too much meconium and was not breathing on her own. I was definitely worried and even a little scared but because the spirit was present the entire time, and I just knew no matter what, she would be okay. Even if they had to take her to the nursery and I could not see her or hold her. Aaron followed them in while I was taken to a recovery room after the OR. Aarons mom was in there to talk to me and keep me company and help out the best she could. She went and got me ice chips and just talked to me and it helped me bring my nerves down over how Addison was doing. A few different nurses and doctors came in to tell me congratulations, and that our daughter would be okay, even the triage nurse and a few nurses I’d never even met. Everyone at Mercy Gilbert was just amazing. They all were all coming into to tell me that everything was okay and tell me how beautiful our daughter was.

Aaron came in a little while later to see how I was doing. He told me how beautiful our daughter was and that she looked like me. He asked what we were going to name her, and said she looked like Addison so we decided on Addison Shelann. We picked Shelann because we combined my moms name Shella, and Aarons moms name DeAnn. My middle name is Shirlene after my two grandmas so we decided to mix it up and do it that way for our little girl.  

Aaron then told me they were considering transferring her to the Chandler Regional Hospital. I was in tears. They could not take my baby away. The Doctor taking care of Addison (I do not remember her last name but her first name was Anita) came in a few moments later and  told us that because of the meconium she aspirated one of her lungs had air in it, that kept it from expanding and because she was not breathing on her own they had to make an incision in her right lung to help her release some of the air in her lung. Because of that she would have to be on a ventilator and they can only be on a ventilator for 3 hours at Mercy Gilbert. I was devastated. I still had not even seen my little girl. I wanted to make sure someone was with her though so I asked if Aaron could ride over with her because I did not want my little girl left alone. They said he could.   

After the Doctor taking care of Addison left the room, Aaron told me that his step dad Gary was on his way, and that his grandpa was as well to give our little girl a blessing. He asked them if they could give her a blessing and they said yes (That was something I loved about Mercy Gilbert, everyone was super supportive of that, not that they would not be anywhere else, but they didn’t even seem fazed when we asked) . The doctor told me that they’d bring her over to my room before I left. I was hoping that would be were they gave her a blessing. They took me to my room, and everyone came in and visited for a little while. By that time Gary, and Grandma and Grandpa Allen had gotten there. In the room everyone was asking how everything was going and what had happened. I saw my husband cry for a 2nd time since we got married as he told everyone what had happened up to that point. We had both been through so much, and he had to be there for all the poking and prodding that was going on with our baby girl. He saw her go through so much as well as me. It was a really rough night for both of us.

Aaron, Gary, and his Grandpa Allen went to go give our little girl a blessing soon after. I was disappointed because I wanted them to be able to give her the blessing in my room. They could not though, because she had to be put in a box with all her cords covering her. A little later my mom got there and gave me a hug. Soon after Gary, and Grandpa Allen came in and told me that Aaron gave a beautiful blessing. I am sure it was. Aaron was so in tune with the spirit the entire time. A little later they brought in the box and Aaron grabbed his stuff since we had decided earlier that he would go with her. Since my mom was there, and could stay the night with me in the hospital room, we also decided that Aaron would stay with our little girl. They brought over little Addison and I took one look at my little girl, and touched her hand and I broke down. She was not doing good, and they were going to take her away from me. I was so heart broken. My mom, Allison and Kimberly all cried as well. They were so sad to see my little girl all hooked up to cords. Aaron gave me a kiss goodbye and followed them out the door. Everyone gave me a hug goodbye and left. All but my mom anyway. That night they told me that I just need to rest. My dad showed up a little later to get my sisters while my mom stayed the night with me. I am so grateful for my mom being there for us this weekend, she was able to stay with me when Aaron was with Addison and she brought us a lot of food. Aaron and I both have two wonderful mothers that were a huge help for us while they were there. I finally fell asleep, but was literally woken up every hour or two to check something on me or take a pain pill. I have no idea how they expected me to rest.

Friday morning after Aaron got back to me at the hospital he told me about the night before. Addisons insert in her lung had come out on the ride over and they decided to not put it back in. They said that they would watch her and see if it needed to be put it back in. A little while later Aarons aunt Amy came in and saw us and asked how we were doing. She said she felt a prompting to come in and visit us. It was such a blessing, it helped us know that there was so many people who cared about what was going on with us and were praying for us, I don’t know if she will ever know how much it meant to us to have her come visit us. After Amy left Aaron sat down and also told me that Gary gave him a blessing comforting him that night. We talked about a few other things, and then I asked him to give me a blessing. He gave me a beautiful blessing. The one thing I remembered the most from it was that he said that Addison had chosen me to be her mom. That she knew no one could love her or take care of her and be a better mother to her than me. He also told me that everything would be okay. It was such an amazing blessing, and another comfort to me through everything we had been through. Aaron spent the day with me except for the short time he took my family to go see Addison. It was so hard for me to see them leave. I did not want to be left alone and I had not seen my little girl yet and everyone got to go see her. While they were gone I took a nap. A little while later my family came back and then Aaron came back and stayed with me and we all visited. We asked my mom to stay with me one more time so that Aaron could go be with Addison. Before my mom came back and Aaron left, Aarons mom, DeAnn, his step dad Gary, and Aunt Julie came to visit us. We visited for a while and then they left. Aaron waited with me till my mom got there then left to go be with our little Addison.

Saturday morning, I was woken up by the physician on call. She asked me if I was doing okay, and if I could walk on my own from the c-section, I told her I was able to but it was still pretty painful. She told me that because I was able to walk on my own and do everything I needed to do on my own they would release me that day. I was so excited. Aaron came over and I told him I would be released that day. We were so excited I’d be able to see our little girl. He then told me that we would be able to hold Addison that day. We waited till my mom brought us over lunch and we were able to get my stuff together and go. I was so excited. We said bye to mom but made plans for her to come back a little later to hold and see Addison and bring us dinner.

We got to the hospital and Aaron took me to Addisons room. I saw my little girl for the first time. I wish there was words to describe the emotions and feelings I felt in that moment. She was so tiny, and bundled up in her little blanket. She had beautiful dark brown hair. She was so beautiful. It was so hard to see her hooked to tons of cords and tubes but luckily by the time I got there she didn’t have any in her mouth or nose. They ended up not putting the cord back into her lung, because they said she’d heal on her own. She had started to breathe on her own, but needed a little extra help from a nasal cannula but by the time I got there she hadn’t needed any of that. The nurse came in and gave her to me to hold, I couldn't stop looking at her. We then took our first family picture together. She had my nose it was dead give away and daddys dimples. They let me try and nurse her, which was so exciting, but also a little struggle. Aaron held her for a little bit, and then we had to put her back in her bed. They told me that she had 7 days of antibiotics and then if she was doing okay or doing well and eating good they would let her come home with us I was so bummed. 7 days of antibiotics, it was going to be forever before we could bring her home. My mom came over a little later and brought us dinner. She even had a chance to hold Addison for a few minutes. After she had the chance to hold Addsion we said bye to her and spent the rest of the evening with Addison. Because she was not eating really well, they had to put an IV into her umbilical cord to give her, her nutrients, so it was a little hard for us to hold her when ever we wanted too. They had to get her out for us. But we still got to hold her plenty.







We decided that night, that Aaron would go home and get some sleep since he had slept there for two nights in a chair. I decided to stay, especially because I just couldn’t leave her. I couldn’t leave her after not being there at all the first few days. That night was so hard. I would hear her fuss, and cry. I wanted to do nothing more than pull her out of her bed and cuddle her and try and help her. Her machines went off a lot too. I feel like I barely slept at all the night.

Aaron came back Sunday morning and we spent the day at the hospital. My mom bought us lunch and dinner, she was a huge blessing for meals. Aarons dad Dane came with his wife Trina. They got to Hold Addison and meet her. Late Sunday night, Aaron and I came home. We both got some well needed sleep, and got up and went to visit her Monday. When we got there Monday she was off her IV umbilical cord. She was eating better and better. Sometimes. There are some moments when she was the best eater ever, and other moments when she was not so much. I just hoped she could keep it up by Friday so we could take our little girl home.

We went to the hospital every day, to see and hold her. Thursday came and it was the 7th day of antibiotics. We just hoped they'd let us bring her home, so we took her diaper bag, and her car seat. When we got there the Nurse Practioner taking care of Addison came in and smiled and at us and said I think she can go home. We had to wait for the final orders to come from Dr. Zozobrado, the doctor who was taking care of Addison. As soon as he came in, he told us we could take her. He did his follow up check ups and let us take her home. We were so excited. We finally had her home.

The week little Addison was in the ICU were a huge roller coaster. My emotions were all over the place. The moment Aaron and I said a prayer in the labor and delivery room, the spirit was present. While a lot of scary things happened, and I was nervous. I was always at peace, in the moments when I had no idea why she wasn’t crying on the bed, or why she was going to the nursery. When they took her away from me, to another hospital, I always knew she’d be okay. Addison had done nothing but improve since Aarons blessing for her. We both realized that everything that was happening was not for Addison, it was for us. Addison will never remember this, but Aaron and I will. We will remember the feelings we felt, and that the spirit was present the whole time. Our prayers, and the prayers of countless others were answered. I am so grateful for the gospel in our life. I am so grateful for my husband. Aaron is so in tune with the spirit, and is a worthy priesthood holder who can administer blessings when we need them. I couldn’t have done anything without him, he was there for me the whole time. He was another constant comfort. I love watching him with her. Hes going to be the best daddy ever. He already is. He has a song already for our little Addison. I am so grateful for him, and for our new little daughter. I love my little family. We are truly blessed.






3 comments:

  1. Aww kelso, such a crazy time but yet do episode derful!!! So glad you had Aaron and family there!!! Seriously need your visit you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a little embarrassing, hahah, Kelsey I don't know you yet, but I know Aaron. He served with my husband Taylor. Anyways, I am bawling like a baby right now. hahaha. It brought up so many emotions and it made me remember how it was to have my little girls. Anyways, I'm so glad everything is okay and she made it through. She really is beautiful. Congratulations!! Thanks for sharing, especially about how spiritual and how the spirit was present. Beautiful story and I'm so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad things turned out alright! We had a similar experience when Emily was born. Her lung collapsed and she quit breathing twice. They had to revive her both times and we spent a week running tests. One CT scan said she had fluid on her brain. After a priesthood blessing, the next CT scan showed no sign of fluid. These things are all little reminders to us that we are not in control. We have a loving Heavenly Father that gives us trials AND blessings to strengthen our faith and make us better people. I am so happy you are home with sweet Addison and that you have a wonderful husband who takes good care of both of you. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete